Book Club


What's everyone reading this month? We're going on vacation this week for Labor Day and I'd love to pick up something new. Our Book Club is currently reading The Language of Flowers, and I'm excited to get started this weekend at the beach!

A few books have caught my eye lately. I've heard really great things about Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. It has a Gatsby like setting, but I've heard the story is really even better. I love all things Jazz Age, "upper echelon of New York society" so this may be my next pick.

I love reading cookbooks maybe even more than I like reading books. It's no secret that I love Jenny Rosenstrach's blog Dinner a Love Story.  I link to it all the time! Her blog is all about the importance of family dinner, but really it's more than that.  I love her simple, easy weeknight recipes, her thoughts of family tradition and rituals, and her general attitude of viewing cooking as a pleasure with your family.  Even though I don't have a family with multiple kiddos that I cook for every evening, I love her message of bringing people together to share simple food. Her cookbook, Dinner a Love Story is out and I've heard that it's so so good, reading more like a novel or memoir than a book.  I think with my first baby on the way this fall, it's time to add this one to the collection!

For a good design/coffee table book, Thom Filicia's American Beauty shows off the renovation and decoration of his fixer upper lake house. Thom Filicia's work is always so relaxed and perfectly detailed that I can't imagine how beautiful his lake house would be. Seems like the perfect book to flip through over a lazy Labor Day weekend.

Our Book Club is getting together this week to socialize and decide on our upcoming picks. (We've been a bit slack lately if you can't tell. We'll blame it on summer's crazy schedules!)  If anyone has any good recommendations for must reads, please let us know! We'd love to hear them.

~Mary Keller

0 comments:

Post a Comment