Handbag Hunt



I've been on the lookout lately for a new handbag. I am not a habitual bag changer so I spend a lot of time and effort really sorting through, picking out and finally purchasing a bag for myself. Its a big decision, not to mention cost. I'm currently sporting a navy Clare Vivier Messenger bag (seen above in black) with the camel foldover clutch I mentioned here inside. To say I like this duo is an understatement. I like it so much that I have not changed handbags (besides the easy transition from one to the other - see below) since I bought this messenger bag last September. And the only reason I'm in the market for a new bag is to help save my two favorite bags. It's just not the best for bags to be worn and worn so i'm hoping to introduce something new to my arm for a little while to give those guys a much needed break.

I want to do something similar next because the transition from day to night with this duo is so seamless. I keep all my essentials right inside the clutch and keep unnecessary things like my planner, prescriptions sunglasses etc. in the larger handbag. That way in the evening or whenever I'm feeling like ditching my large bag I can just grab my clutch and go. No thought required. So here's what I've come up with…
Clockwise from top left: Kate Spade Westward Satchel, ONE by Meli Melo Thela Bag, Clare Vivier La Tropezienne, Rachel Nasvik Phoebe, Madewell Kensington Satchel, Fossil Erin Satchel
Clockwise from top left: J. Crew Tartine Satchel, Kate Spade Cobble Hill Mink, Clare Vivier Duffel, Annabel Ingall Isabella Tote,  J.Crew Brompton Hobo, Cole Haan Zoe Structured Satchel
I've sorted through a ton the last few weeks and have narrowed it down to these. I'll be honest with you, some of these are out of my price range (a lot of them actually :( ) so i'd have to watch for them on sale but I like to go ahead and identify what i'm watching for in advance. My criteria was a medium to large bag that isn't overly stiff, leather, gold hardware and preferably cognac, camel or gray color families.  I've included a few other colors here but you can tell the theme is a super simple leather bag.

The prices of these guys are pretty much all over the board. None are what I would consider cheap but I didn't expect that considering I wanted leather. What do you guys think? Do you love or hate any of these? Any stores or brands I should try?

- Heath

Top image via Chelsea Wears 


3 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of J. Crew's bags these days--I love that Brompton Hobo. But I also am obsessed with your Claire Vivier and that duffel looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the Brompton Hobo too! I found the Clare Vivier La Tropezienne the other day, thanks to your post, but was a little concerned that it doesn't zip or at least snap closed...am I'm being too picky?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler and Amanda - I love the Brompton Hobo but I just realized it's not available in the standard size anymore. Just the mini, which isn't truly mini but too small for me:(
    Amanda - if you ty[pically carry a bag zipped or snapped shut then I'd say that is a perfectly acceptable request. I tend to carry mine open so I dont think that would bother me.
    -Heath

    ReplyDelete