Photo Diary | Boston

Last Thursday I flew to Boston to meet my girlfriends from college. Like MK mentioned here, we're a very close group and try to do a trip every year. The past few years have been a little different with weddings and bachelorette parties but this year we reverted back to our old ways and picked a city, a weekend and booked it. I'm so glad we landed on Boston too because it was so wonderful! I've included some pictures and a recap below if you're interested...warning it's a long one.



    

We arrived Thursday evening and had dinner in the seaport area at Legal Harborside. It was a great start to our weekend, our table was no more than 20 feet from the water and all the boats docked along the harbor. Perfect setting for dinner and drinks! A few of us started with oysters and were hooked for the rest of the weekend, seriously you cannot go wrong ordering them anywhere in Boston.

We woke up early Friday morning(some parts of our trips have changed over the years ha) grabbed a quick breakfast and went for a long walk along the Charles River Esplanade and through Boston Public. Absolutely gorgeous you guys! I'm not sure if I had low expectations but the green spaces blew me away here. I love a good park and greenway so I was in heaven.









After regrouping for a bit we walked to the South End area to explore some and grabbed lunch at South End Buttery. After a little more walking we stopped for what soon became a staple afternoon snack of oysters at B&G Oysters. We loved it here, it was the perfect little spot to sit for a while and rest our feet. The oysters were amazing and the spot was super charming and casual I would definitely recommend it.



Now for my favorite part of the entire trip. Earlier that morning we booked a small sailing adventure on the Boston Harbor. Best idea ever, thanks Dinah/Colin! So after our snack we stopped across the street at The Butcher Shop to pick up some some meats and bread for a picnic and then ventured down to South End Formaggio for cheeses and Brix for some champagne and rose. We spent 2 hours on the water with Bob and Linda of All Hands Sailing and it was amazing.












It was absolutely perfect you guys. They were both amazing! It was just enough of a "tour" to show us a few buildings and areas from the water while still allowing us to sit back, drink some wine and enjoy our picnic.

Side note - the picture MK included here was me in pure bliss after picking up our picnic on my way to our sailing trip. I know I look like a total nerd, but I was in my happy place!


On our way home we stopped into the Liberty Hotel. We heard a lot about how cool the old jail turned hotel was and I'm glad we stopped in. The bar scene was a bit different(read clubish) than our usual but we stuck around for a little while and enjoyed a few drinks at Clink before calling it a night.

Saturday morning started a little slower than Friday and was a little more low key. We had brunch at Sonsie and shopped on Newbury street before stopping for snacks at Island Creek Oyster Bar. We really enjoyed this spot. It's a little out of the way but from my understanding it's on the way to Fenway so it may be a good stop before/after a game if the Red Sox are home. No home games this weekend so I guess I'll have to go back to see Fenway, no complaints here! We had dinner on the patio at Stella on Saturday evening and it was wonderful.






Sunday morning we walked over to Beacon Hill for some coffee and breakfast. You guys Beacon Hill is the cutest! Every little corner you turn there is an adorable shop, stoop or window box.

 



We were total tourist in our tennis shoes walking along the Freedom trail before losing interest and eventually heading home. I'm glad we didn't delay any longer because it was getting late and we had plans to venture to Cambridge for the World Cup.



We arrived in Cambridge to grab the last table at Tap and Trotter before striking out a few other places. We made some new friends and watched Germany win before venturing over to Harvard for a quick walk through campus.


Sunday evening we ventured to the highly recommended Neptune Oyster for dinner and had lots of oysters, hot lobster rolls and clam chowder as our last meal. It was the perfect end to a wonderful weekend!


I can't recommend a weekend trip to Boston enough. I came home talking to Andy about planning a quick trip next year to catch a game. It's such a wonderful city and of course I'm missing those girls already!

- Heath

0 comments:

Post a Comment