New Years & Beef Bourguignon


Since this blog is really like our little sister/family journal we snapped a few (iphone) pics that I want to record from New Years if you're interested.  I've mentioned that we didn't really do much for New Years.  Since we traveled for Christmas, J.D. and I really just wanted to stay put and have a quiet night.  I knew I wanted to make something really yummy (always thinking about yummy food!) especially knowing that I had a little more time on my hands with it being the holidays.  Heath ended up sneaking out of work early that night (by early I mean 7) so she and Andy came and joined us. 

I ended up making Ina's Beef Bourguignon and guys I HIGHLY recommend it if you're looking for a not-too-difficult, elegant, feels special make ahead meal.  Beef Bourguignon is basically French beef stew, but something about the bourguignon makes it seem so much more elegant.  Maybe because of the wine??  Not sure, but we all loved it.  It takes a little while to make, but it really is easy - just ask your butcher to cut the piece of meat into chunks for you.  (That will save you the most work.)

My little French menu in case anyone is looking for make ahead dinner party ideas.  (The stew is best if made a day in advance.)

Cocktails with French Gruyere and Parmesan Cheese Straws
Beef Bourguignon with toasted garlic bread
Warm Goat Cheese Salad, plus a cheese plate with blue cheese and brie

I served the stew with just garlic bread, but people also love it over a bed of mashed potatoes or with noodles.  I served the salad and a cheese plate after the Beef Bourguignon, as apparently the French do which is kind of fun.  For dessert, I just picked up cupcakes because I used all my cooking energy on the beef, but instead this Chocolate Mousse could also be done in advance, and it would be so much better and tres French! :)

Hope everyone had a Happy New Year, cheers to 2015!
~Mary Keller



0 comments:

Post a Comment